The mission of Equality Illinois is to secure, protect and defend equal rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in Illinois.
We envision a fair and unified Illinois where everyone is treated equally with dignity and respect and where all people live freely regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Inclusiveness. Equality Illinois belongs to all those who believe in our vision and mission. We will be accessible to and proactively engage others in our statewide community as owners of our vision and mission.
Respect. Equality Illinois believes in the value of others—their opinions and their work. It is our respect for others that builds our collaborations and partnerships.
Fairness. Equality Illinois believes that everyone should have the same rights, responsibilities and opportunities afforded to them regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
Effectiveness. Equality Illinois believes that success comes from the highest impact approaches to achieving our vision and mission.
- Promote legislation to protect the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) individuals with regard to safe schools, hospital visitation, inheritance rights, bereavement leave and the many other rights that affect LGBT citizens across Illinois.
- Maintain the visibility of LGBT issues in the Illinois General Assembly, the community and the workplace.
- Oppose legislation which seeks to limit the civil rights of the LGBT community, such as anti-gay adoption bills, constitutional bans on same-sex marriage or attempts to rescind or restrict the Illinois non-discrimination bill signed into law in January 2005 (SB3186).
- Expand statewide grassroots support through an enhanced communication network, technical assistance and on-site support.
- Mobilize support and increase statewide participation in the legislative process through activities such as conferences and lobby days.